Monday, June 29, 2009

MJ and Me at the Roller Rink

I was honestly crushed by the sad news of MJ's passing.

His music played an important role in my awkward, yet strangely exciting Jr high school years.

I remember the rush of adrenaline pulsing through my veins when the lights dimmed at the roller rink. The voice over the microphone rang out saying "guys grab a girl 'cuz it's time for couples skate!" I was a bit nervous about asking out the reigning school starlet, but when the DJ cranked up Billie Jean it was at that moment that I realized my entire life (13 1/2 years) was simply dress rehearsal for what was next...

As I shoved my skinny arms hurriedly into my black Members Only jacket I could feel the rinks powerful overhead fans (designed to mask the odors of 200 sweaty teens) whipping my hair into a perfectly feathered frenzy.

It was showtime.....

As the music blared I could feel the rhythm and beat of Billie Jean magically sync into my very being... Without further delay I grabbed that young starlet by the hand and whisked her gracefully onto the center of the rink, where only the beautiful kids dare skate...

Even as the security staff led me forcibly out of the rink and through the starlets surprisingly loud and rather pointed rebuke, I could still hear MJ in the background singing his heart out; "Billie Jean is not my lover, she's just a girl that says that I am the one, but the kid is not my son."
Not sure what those lyrics meant, but they sure felt good to sing back then and even now.

God bless you MJ, love and thanks for being a great wingman to gen x. We hope your dancing with the angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment